Sunday, January 16, 2011

Jan 15th 2011 Double Dating

To Whom it may concern,
Yesterday I went on a double date. Yes, with my husband ! along with his mother (82) and her new beau Joe. I really wasn't sure what to expect, double dating with the "old folks" but we actually had a very good time.
Nelda had been asking us to take her to Galatoires in New Orleans. She said she wanted to go back "one more time before she dies" lol
So we all got dressed up and headed to Bourbon Street.
I had heard of Galatoires, but had never been. Little did I know the experience that awaited me.
It began the moment we were seated and our Russian speaking waiter placed my napkin in my lap. He handed me the large green menu and my eyes danced as I read the lists of creative amazing dishes and sauces. This is going to be good , I thought.
Since Nelda ( Steve's mom) was paying, we decided to let her choose the appetizers. She chose fried eggplant and Oysters Rockefeller......my two least favorite foods. Oh well, I said to my self, the bread and butter are wonderful.
Our waiter first brought 2 small bowls. One was a creamy sauce and the other was powdered sugar....I was intrigued
Then he brought out the eggplant, but it didn't look like the eggplant I was use to. Instead of the round, still soft in the middle or fried to a burned crisp, disks, it looked more like zucchini and cut in strips. He said to dip it in the sugar, then the sauce...the results was a sweet , melt-in-your mouth delight. I was inspired!!
Never in my life had I tasted an oyster....they just look gross!
I thought if I was ever going to taste one, this should be the place. After all, it was cooked, and covered in spinach. So, while everyone watched, and my husband documented the momentous moment with my phone camera, I ate my first ever (at age 53) oyster. It wasn't bad.
What followed after that was nothing less than sheer uninhibited delight, as we each ate , shared, sampled and stuffed ourselves with Galatoires artistry.
As I twittered at the end of the meal..." I think I have died and gone to culinary heaven".

You would think after such a meal we would roll ourselves back to our car and go home for a nap, but our day was not over. Joe wanted to see the new WW2 Museum so off we went. It is expensive, ($18.00) but very interesting and educational. I was totally loving it!! However poor Nelda and Joe had had it after only going about halfway through so we had to leave. I do hope to go back though someday and finish what we started.

Now you would assume we would head home. Bellies full, tired, Nelda's feet hurting...but no...
You cannot go to New Orleans and NOT go to Cafe Du Monde. We split 2 orders of beignets and had our coffee , then yes we went home.

Joe and Nelda fell asleep for part of the trip home in the back seat like 2 little kids after a trip to the Zoo.

We had a great time!!!!!!

1 comment:

Krystal Wight Armstrong said...

Cool date night! Glad the oysters were good...I've never enjoyed one. But Cafe Du Monde is awesome!

Ps- Just found your blog, fun reads! Visit ours at:
Andrew-and-Krystal.blogspot.com