Thursday, March 31, 2011

Sweet Memories and Siesta Memory Verse for April 1st

March 31, 1983

Just the day before I was told by my doctor to just go home, put my feet up and prepare to wait a while because "this baby isn't coming anytime soon"..   Little did he know that the little girl I was carrying, the one he liked to refer to as "Charlie Brown" because of her perfectly round head, was going to be a very punctual, responsible, young lady.
I went home that afternoon of the 30th and did as my doctor said.  March 31st was my due date, but this was my first, and firsts are always late...right?  That evening I began to have contractions.  By about 7 or 8pm they were 4 minutes apart.  We lived in east Dallas and my hospital was in Plano, which is quite a ways away.  I drove into Dallas and picked my husband up from work and told him about the contractions.  I had my bag with me and suggested we go to my parents house and call the doctor.  So that is what we did. 
My doctor was surprised but not too concerned.  He told me to relax and call him in an hour.  So I took a shower and dried my hair and then called him.  " they are 2 minutes apart"  I said..."well ok I guess come on up to the hospital and lets monitor them.  But don't be surprised if they stop and I send you home."he replied. 
So up to Plano General Hospital we went.  And YES  I was definitely in labor.!
They put me in a room and placed monitors all over me and we waited.  I remember there was a Three Stooges marathon on TV because my Doctor and  my husband sat on the couch next to me watching it and telling jokes.  They only seemed to notice me when I would scream "get over here!!! rub my back!!!  don't touch me!!!  and other things such as that. 
This went on for a long long long time!  But this little girl wasn't budging.  They broke my water...nothing new.....more yelling, panting etc..no baby.
The new young nurse thought we had lost the babies heart beat.  It turned out one of the monitors had fallen off.  Her boss yelled at her right out side my door.  Poor thing.
Then, after 12 hours, and total exhaustion on my part, it was determined that the cord was dropping but not the baby, so they quickly whisked me away to delivery  for a c-section and Rachel Lin  was born on the morning of March 31st, her due date. 
I named her Rachel, my little lamb.  She was and is still, a sweet young lady.    She is smart, responsible and gracious.  She was a joy to raise and is now a joy to watch as she raises her own son. 
I love you Rachel!  very very very much!

I chose for this weeks Siesta Memory verse, John 10:27-28   My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of my hand.

2 comments:

1ofHis said...

I love your memory verse. I'm reading a book called, a shepherd looks at Psalm 23 by Phillip Keller. He was a shepherd himself. His perspective sheds so much light on why we are described in the Bible so often as sheep. Our behavior and the behavior of sheep are verysimiliar:fears,stubborness,
vulnerability etc. Great post!

cheryl said...

I have read that book a few times...I just love it. Its one of my favorites.